Upcoming Wedding Plans and Exercise Challenge

by Annie on April 12, 2009 · 10 comments

in Exercise & Injuries,Weight Loss & Body Image

workout intensity

Welcome to Small Steps to Health where we do not take orders from a cookie!

I am so exited about the upcoming months.  I am in the process of planning my wedding for September.

But I thought you were already married?

After a two year engagement and still unable to come to terms with my mom”s demands requests for my wedding, my husband and I went to city hall last year and got married.  No friends, no pictures, nothing.  I do not even remember if we went out to dinner.

Each time I talked to my mom about the ever expanding guest lists, we would end up arguing.  It got so bad that I did not talk or call my mom for entire month one time.

If you are paying for the wedding, why is your mom in your business?

If you are asking this question, then most likely you are a parent.  No matter how old I am, my mom feels entitle to tell me what to do and how to do it.

But the background story is that she married my dad during the Vietnam war.  They left the country without any wedding ceremony and always felt its lack.  When my other aunts recounted stories from their own wedding day, my mom sat in silence.  I guess in some ways, every woman wants to feel like a princess at least for one day.  And being the eldest, she sees my wedding as an extension of the wedding she never had.

How do you tell someone that 20 well wishers are worth more than the 400 people that show up at a typical Chinese wedding?

What does my wedding have to do with my health blog?

muscle-burns-more-fat

After a year of marriage, I am starting to understand how my mom feels.  Since I am such a low maintenance person, I would like an opportunity to get my nails done for the first time.  I would like some pretty dressed up pictures instead of the shorts and t-shirts we typically wear in our photos.  And so after some discussion with my husband, we decided to plan a wedding in September.

And like most brides-to-be, I want be in great shape for that day.  I am not too interested in dropping my vanity pounds as I am in shrinking my dress size.  Muscle mass is more compact than fat.  So a person with more muscle would look slimmer than a person of the same weight with more fat. So I want to concentrate on building my muscle mass and exercising at the correct intensity for my cardio.  No more moving just to go through the motion for me.

I am contemplating adding a page to my website listing my workout as I do them until the end of summer.  I currently keep track of my workouts on my planner.  But I am hoping that once I share them with everyone, it might prompt me to exercise at a higher intensity and get better results.  Who knows – maybe it would inspire some of my readers into shape for summer.

I am starting a 10 week progressive training program tomorrow called Gilad”s Quick Fit System. It is a 12 weeks rotation, but I am skipping the first 2 weeks and start at Phase 3.  The first 2 weeks (Phase 1 and Phase 2) is a gentle introductory to the progressively tougher cardio and strength training sessions.  Beginners definitely should not skip this.  But I exercise regularly so I feel that I can.  Hopefully I am right.  So in 10 weeks, let”s see how I do.  If that does not work, then I would having to start dieting.  Which would be a sorry sight, indeed since I love to eat.

Am I suddenly going to morph a wedding planning and beauty blogger?

Rest assure, my readers, that is not going to happen.  My younger sister is more concern about my hair and makeup for my upcoming wedding than I am.  However, future posts might reflect more of my interests in wedding and weight.

Photos by:  inoc.

Sagan April 13, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Aw a wedding will be really nice! Looking forward to hearing how the workout program goes for you.

asithi April 13, 2009 at 6:34 pm

@Sagan – Yes, I will keep you posted on my workouts. Hopefully I would not slack off now that I have an audience.

Spring Girl April 14, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Yay! A wedding :-) It is nice to do all the pretty stuff, but I totally agree about 20 people over 400. Good luck with the preparation.

Spring Girls last blog post……Someone please pass me a celery stick

Clinton Walker III April 15, 2009 at 11:23 pm

It is always good to have a goal and date set. It keeps you motivated and posting your results give you accountability.

asithi April 16, 2009 at 11:16 pm

@Spring Girl – Thanks for the kind thoughts. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the guest list will get smaller as we approach the date.

@Clinton – Thanks for the comment. Let’s hope it works.

Mike January 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I have been working out to Gilad for a while now and I’m about to start the quick fit system. Did you get the results you wanted??

asithi January 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Mike – Yes and no. I gained a lot of strength, but I got bored with the cardio workouts. So I was using the strength dvd and doing my own thing for cardio. Then, I got distracted because I brought ChaLean Extreme. So while I was following the the Quick Fit System I saw results. But since I have such a short attention span, I have yet to follow a program to completion. The good thing about the Quick Fit System is that you are done in approximately 30 minutes. That is the reason why I sold my copy of P90X. Every workout took an hour. Who has time for that?

Mike February 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Thanks for the response. I typically work out to different Gilad dvd’s already (Elite Forces, Express workouts, etc) or Total Body Sculpt on FITV and lifting weights on my own. When I do workout and eat healthy I see results but my problem is I will stop working out and I’ll gain the weight back:( I’ve actually wanted to try P90X but haven’t been able to spend the money on it. How far did you go on P90X?? Thanks for the response and I really enjoy the blog. Take Care.

asithi February 2, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Mike – I used P90x for about two weeks of phase 1. Whenever I have to exercise for more than 45 minutes my body just protest like crazy the next day. When I use exercise dvds between the 35-45 minutes mark, I usually can exercise every day. But more than that, I seem to “need” more time to recover.

Tony Horton (the instructor of P90x) have some older exercise dvds that are stand-alones. You could test drive his teaching style with a stand-alone exercise dvd before investing in P90X. The two I like is called “Total Body Workout” and “Total Body Workout 2.” Very original huh? Total Body Workout 2 is my go-to exercise workout. Whenever I am short on time, that is the dvd I pull out. 20 minutes, working both lower and upper body at the same time with minimal rest between sets. Much better than some of the wimpy 10 Minute Solution exercise dvds that are marketed towards women.

{ 1 trackback }