On fear and faith

by Annie on January 28, 2009 · 6 comments

in Weight Loss & Body Image

jump

My husband and I are in escrow for our first house. It is a really exciting time for us, but also pretty scary at the same time. There are nights where I lie in bed thinking “What the heck are we doing? This is not the time for such a large financial purchase.”

“We can afford the house. We have money for a down payment. It will be alright.” I repeat this mantra over and over again until I finally fall back to sleep.

I think I am starting to understand how it feels to be the breadwinner in the family. If my husband gets laid off, we can still afford this home purchase. If I get laid off, we will be back into an even tinier apartment.

But sometimes you got to take this leap of faith. You take a good look around and you jump, hoping that there is someone there to catch.

The timing cannot be better. We were priced out for the last 3 years because of the real estate prices in California. Financially everything is aligned for us to take advantage of this opportunity. If we do not take this leap, I know we will regret it for the rest of our lives. So even with talk of laid-offs at other government agencies, we are taking this leap of faith.

It is just like your health. You workout, you eat healthy, and you practice good hygiene. How do you know that it will prevent you from getting cancer or from heart disease? You just need to have faith that doing these things are going to help you live a longer and more physically independent life. Of course – scientific evidence helps booster that faith.

Sometimes we fear the person we might become after we get healthy or after we lose that weight. But guess what – a change in your weight is not going to change who you are. If people treat you differently afterwards, that is their problem. They will adjust. But you will not stop doing what needs to be done because of fear.

Anything worth doing involves a measure of fear. But fear has never stopped me before. And it should not stop you either. Maybe more exercise will help me fall asleep faster.

Photo by:  Sequel.

Tom Parker - Free Fitness Tips January 28, 2009 at 2:09 pm

Good luck with the new house. BTW exercise actually is a really great way to fall asleep in my experience.

Tom Parker – Free Fitness Tipss last blog post……From Vitamin A to Vitamin E: 40+ Vitamin Rich Foods

asithi January 28, 2009 at 9:55 pm

@Tom – Thanks. I just hope that I do not end up whining too much about the move. We brought a foreclosed house. That is the only way we can afford a home in that neighborhood. But that means the carpet is trashed, the hardwood needs to be refinished. We need new paint. And the backyard is a mess. But the bright side is that doing all that clean up is going to be a great for my body. But not so great for my husband because I think I might get cranky. :D

Tom - Treatment For Acne Scarring January 29, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Congratulations! We can never let fear stop us from moving forward. So many things are outside of our control, but since we cannot do anything about them – why do we worry?

Tom – Treatment For Acne Scarrings last blog post……Treatment For Acne Scarring

asithi January 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm

@Tom – Treatment For Acne Scarring – I think it is human nature to worry and fear for the unknown. I always think that acknowledging your fear is a good first step to controlling your it. Thanks taking the time to comment Tom.

Kelly Turner January 30, 2009 at 2:05 pm

does that mean i can skip my workout today? ;)

This is why I focus on the immediate benefits of things. Like working out- it might not protect me later on but it makes me feel good in the meantime. It doesnt work so well with worry- it seems no matter how much i rationalize things i cant get the pit out of my stomach- but its a great thing to keep in mind.

Kelly Turner

Kelly Turners last blog post……I’m Going to Say This Once, and Then Drop it

asithi January 30, 2009 at 4:16 pm

@ Kelly – Sure why not. It is Friday. Go dancing with your boyfriend instead. Torch those calories while you are having some fun is always a great alternative to working out for me.

The reason why worrying is so out of character for me is that I am an optimist in many situations. Not a Pollyanna, but definitely enjoy being alive. After all those years with braces in my teens, I just love showing off my teeth. With the economy the way it is, I sometimes want to bury my head in the sand because it scare me to take on such a huge financial purchase. But c’est la vie. It will get better.