Disadvantages of Being a Sedentary Woman

by Annie on May 27, 2008 · 10 comments

in Aging & Gender Differences

Botanical Garden According to SuperFoods HealthStyle, women feel the negative impacts of a sedentary lifestyle at last ten years before men. Women are already at a disadvantage physically because we have more body fat and less muscle mass as noted in a previous post. Now to find out that our musculoskeletal capacity age 10 years before men do?!! Or another way to look at it, we age normally, but men physically age slower. Wow!

This is the second time I came across this reference in my research of the physical differences between men and women, but it still boggles my mind. Is that the reason why most men get more distinguish with age?

In addition, we suffer from the decline in our physical strength before we even realize it is happening. Women in their 60s and 70s, who never exercised, lost 30-39 percent of their strength from their 20s. Most disturbing of all is that 2/3 of the women who die from cardiovascular disease had no previous symptoms. Even though we have some protection from being able to remove ingested fats from out bloodstream faster than men, the fact that we do less physical activities wipes out that advantage.

Exercise is the only way we can reverse the aging process! With regular cardio and strength training we do not have to look older than our husbands! Of course, if your husband is also a coach potato, then you probably do not have to work as hard. My husband works out regularly and does physical labor at work, so you see I am constantly climbing a hill on the race to the top with him.

Exercise does not mean vigorous activity in order to have health benefits. It just involve adding simple activities in our daily lives that have been replace with machines. For example:

1.  gardening

2.  housework such as vacuuming, dusting, making beds. Keep moving at a brisk pace to turn light housework into a moderate one.

3.  double shop – take a brisk walk around the mall before you begin shopping.

4.  take a dance class – star in your own version of Dancing with the Stars!

5.  Add movement at work. Since we all spend most of our waking hours at work, it only make sense to integrate that location into our healthy lifestyle change.

6.  Use an exercise dvd at home. You can check them out at the library or from Netflix. The Dummies series also make a dummies series of exercise videos geared towards the beginner. Two I recommend are 15 Minute Workout for Dummies (strength training, dumbbells required) and Fat Burning Workout for Dummies (simple aerobics exercises). This is my all time favorite way to exercise. No one to look at how you are doing. The only drawback is that you might have to deal with a gawking husband.

7.  Exercise during the commercials of your favorite show. Try jumping rope, lifting some dumbbells, or walking in place.

Tom Parker May 27, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Hi Asithi. Just thought I would leave you a comment and let you know how interesting I have found your last few posts on the differences between men and women health wise. I consider myself to be quite knowledgeable in this area but your latest posts have been completely new to me. I was not aware there was such a significant difference. Thanks for sharing the great information and I look forward to reading your future posts.

Tom Parkers last blog post..5 Food Groups that can slow down your Metabolism…@Wellness Junction

LisaN May 28, 2008 at 12:32 am

You’ve got some great information here. I’m a big fan of exercising during commercials, like push-ups and sit-ups. I’m glad to see there’s someone else out there doing the same thing……….:)

LisaNs last blog post..LisaN started a discussion called Weekly Recipes in Healthy Recipes

asithi May 27, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Thanks! This is one of my favorite topics because my husband recently decided he was going to “get in shape.” Whereas, I have been trying to “loose some weight” since forever. But it is really amusing to me how differently we see the same thing even though we have a lot in common. I blame it on “Mens is from Mars and Women is from Venus.” Since I read that book a couple years ago, I love delving into gender differences.

goodbyetoallfat May 28, 2008 at 11:29 am

Your articles are really interesting, especially now I can blame everything on the physiological differences between men and women (ha!).

If only …..

goodbyetoallfats last blog post..Week 2 – 312 lbs (8 lbs down)

Diane May 28, 2008 at 7:07 pm

well that explains a lot (and not in a good way LOL!)

However, I do appreciate your tips for getting the most of our your day without a full gym workout :)

goodbyetoallfat May 28, 2008 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog. I thought I had mentioned knees (one of my weakest areas!) but as it was not clear enough I have just re-worded one of my paragraphs slightly — thanks for making me realise I had overlooked the knees and “skimmed” over them in my original wording.

The sedentary lifestyle problem is very true to me as I am a secretary, and therefore get little exercise in my 9 – 5 day job.

Best wishes,
Sharon

goodbyetoallfats last blog post..Big Fat Lies – Part 1

SpinDiva May 29, 2008 at 11:50 am

Having babies and caring for children does not help us stay young either unless we choose to get them involved in living a healthy lifestyle from day one. I think this is a great article which deserves a lot of attention by women and men. You are so right, though, exercise is the only way, with proper nutrition of course. Thanks.

SpinDivas last blog post..Fitness, Nutrition, Relaxation – Week 2

Jo May 30, 2008 at 1:35 am

Nice post. I stumbled it.

Jos last blog post..Declutter yourself

asithi May 30, 2008 at 5:27 am

@ Jo – thank you for the stumble!

everyone else – thanks for stopping by this week even though there has been no new post. I have been really swamp at work. I don’t think I will be able to post anything new until this Sunday at the earliest. Please check back then for new content. Since my gender differences posts have been so popular, I will see if I can come up with more differences in the battle of the sexes.

heidi May 30, 2008 at 6:07 pm

I never realized that about women versus men but it does make sense. I love doing strength training exercise and hope it helps in the long run.

heidis last blog post..Miracle Foods That Help Fight The Signs of Aging